Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school - Albert Einstein
An Honors education at Marietta College is an opportunity to be educated.
As an MC Honors student, you will have:
- Access to small, dynamic classes led by Honors faculty.
- Opportunities to experience cultural events outside of the classroom; our Honors faculty travel with students to Pittsburgh, PA, Athens, OH, and Columbus, OH to take advantage of cutural events.
- Priority registration each semester, ensuring that our Honors students will be able to schedule the courses they need.
- A cohort of talented, like-minded peers, who love to learn for the sake of learning!
After completing the Curriculum Honors Program (generally completed by the end of the sophmore year), students may choose to pursue an Honors Research Thesis.
What is an Honors Research Thesis?
- Juniors and seniors specialize in their chosen field by working with faculty members on a senior thesis.
- This kind of independent learning enables students to progress through a research experience under the guidance of an expert in the field.
- The Honors Research Thesis is a way to distinguish yourself from other graduating seniors; it is a first step in work you will do either in your professional life or in graduate school.
Learning Outcomes for the Honors Program at Marietta College:
- Appreciate distinct modes of scholarship and research
- Apply interdisciplinary approaches to scholarship and research, and to articulate the value of considering multiple disciplinary contexts
- Reflect upon and apply independent educational experiences inside and outside the classroom to novel contexts
- Demonstrate competitiveness in applications for prestigious jobs, graduate schools, professional schools, and major scholarships
Thank you for visiting, and please don't hesitate to contact us should you have any questions about the Marietta College Honors Program.
Dr. Alicia Doerflinger
Director of the Honors Program
Associate Professor of Psychology
Fall 2014 Events
Orientation Weekend: Freshman Honors Dinner with Dr. Parsons and Dr. Doerflinger at Tampico Restaurant.
Halloween Fun: Moundsville State Penetentiary Haunted Prison Tour in Moundsville, WV
A Night with David Sedaris in Athens, OH.
Spring 2015 Events
Please see important meeting information below.
Special events will be added as they become available.